Chord Electronics DAVE
Reference Digital to Analogue Converter, Headphone Amplifier and Preamplifier. DAVE is our flagship DAC, a true reference-level product, loaded with our latest-generation FPGA technology. Put simply, it is the most advanced DAC in the world.
DAVE is the most advanced DAC we have ever made. It features the very best conversion technology available, using proprietary techniques never seen before, making DAVE the most advanced DAC/preamp amplifier in the world. DAVE stands for ‘Digital to Analogue Veritas in Extremis’, a moniker that best reflects the product’s capability; a device so advanced and with so few compromises, that it is absolutely truthful in the extreme — a standard that all other DACs on the market simply cannot hope to match.
The DAC, which is also a reference-level headphone amplifier and ‘digital preamp’, distils twenty years of Chord research, development and advanced engineering into one device. At its heart lies a new version of the advanced Spartan 6 Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) with 1,000x the processing power of the traditional mass-produced chip DAC. DAVE’s FPGA is loaded with over a million lines of code to confront complex timing issues head-on, with speed and precision.
The FPGA’s extraordinary capability enables a number of key sonic benefits, including significantly improved timing and the best noise-shaper performance of any known DAC. DAVE’s technology delivers music with unmatched reality and musicality, with an unrivalled timing response. The device’s lossless digital volume control outputs the signal direct to your power amplifier for the purest experience.
DAVE has a full-sized LCD display, showing input, sample frequency, volume and set-up configurations options, within Chord’s famous porthole design. On its fascia, DAVE also features a rotary encoder with a large stainless steel controller and ball buttons, enabling direct interactivity in addition to the supplied remote control.
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz flat within +/-0.1dB (HF filter off)
- Tap length filter: 164,000
- THD + N: 127.5dB (AWT)
- Channel separation: >125dB @ 1KHz
- Dynamic range: 127.5dB (AWT)
- Sample frequencies: 44.1Khz – 768Khz (16 – 32bit) and DSD64 to DSD512 native DSD + DoP (input dependant)
- Digital inputs:
- 4x 75Ω S/PDIF BNC Coax – 44.1kHz to 384kHz
- 1x AES XLR – 44.1kHz to 96kHz
- 2x Fibre Optic TOSLINK – 44.1kHz to 96kHz
- 1x USB Type B – 44.1kHz to 768kHz (16 – 32bit) – PCM and DSD
- Analogue outputs:
- 1x Stereo Pair of Unbalanced RCA
- 1x Stereo Pair of Balanced XLR
- 1x ¼” TRS Jack Headphone Output
- DAVE Quickstart guide
- Safety instructions
- 10A Mains IEC cable
- IR Remote control
- Type-A USB to Type-B USB cable
- Optical cable
- 2x AAA batteries
- Frequency Response:20Hz to 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
- THD +N:-127.5dB (AWT)
- Channel Separation:>125dB @ 1kHz
- Dynamic Range: 127.5dB (AWT)
- Headphone Output: 1% THD 6.8v RMS with 300Ω (154mW) 1% THD 6.8v RMS with 33Ω (1.4w)
- Output Impedance: 0.055Ω (short circuit protected)
- Operating voltage: 90v AC – 250v AV auto switching 50Hz – 60Hz
- Dimensions (including connectors): 7.8cm (H) 33.5cm (W) 15.2cm (D)
- Weight: 5kg