Chord Electronics HUGO 2
In 2014, we introduced Hugo, a revolutionary portable DAC and headphone amp that became a landmark product in the audio landscape. Advances in digital technology, including the latest FPGAs and WTA (Watts Transient Aligned) filters, have enabled us to introduce a next-generation version, Hugo 2, featuring flexible new features, plus next-generation technical and sonic performance.
Hugo 2 can be used both at home and on-the-go, either with headphones or within a conventional audio system. Its line-level output and full-function remote control adds real flexibility in full-size and desktop systems.
The device offers four digital inputs (optical, coaxial and HD USB) plus extended-range Bluetooth, with high-resolution file playback up to 768kHz and up to DSD512 (Octa DSD), via its HD USB input. Analogue outputs include 2x RCA, plus 3.5mm and 6.35mm headphone outputs.
A four-function switch filter offers a useful degree of user-selectable frequency-shaping, bringing warm and soft or transparent and incisive presentations, giving additional flexibility and user control. For headphone-listening, Hugo 2 retains the popular digital crossfeed function of the original and offers three operation modes. The system duplicates the effect of listening to speakers and is based on advanced binaural audio research.
Hugo 2 features four spherical control buttons, which illuminate with colour-coding information and control power, input, filtering, plus the unit’s crossfeed functions.
Battery playing time is around seven hours and two modes of automatic charging are included using the dedicated Micro USB charging port; an indicator shows charging and battery-charge status.
- Materials: Clamshell precision machined aluminium casing with polycarbonate buttons, acrylic signal window, and glass viewing portal. Available in a choice of two colours – natural silver, and satin black
- Battery: 2x Rechargeable custom Enix Energies 3.7v 9.6Wh Li-ion (lithium-ion (2600mAh) batteries*
- Tap length filter: 49,152 – 10 element Pulse Array design
- Play time: 8 hrs (Avg.time)
- Charging: Nominal six (6) hours via Micro USB at 1.8amps (fast charge) – Nominal eight (8) hours at 1amp (slow charge)
- Connectivity (input): Micro USB (White): 44.1kHz to 768kHz – 16bit to 32bit
- Coax via 3.5mm jack (Red): 44.1kHz to 384kHz – 16bit to 32bit
- Coax via (same) 3.5mm jack (Dual data mode: Yellow): 44.1kHz to 768kHz – 16bit to 32bit
- Optical (Green): 44.1kHz to 96kHz – 16bit to 24bit
- Connectivity (input wireless): Bluetooth (Apt X) (Blue): 44.1kHz to 48kHz – 16bit
- Connectivity (output): 1x ¼” jack headphone output
- 1x 3.5mm jack headphone output
- 1x stereo (L & R) RCA output
- PCM support: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 358.8kHz, 384kHz, 717.6kHz, and 768kHz. 16 – 32bit
- DSD support: Native playback supported. DSD64 (Single) to DSD512 (Octa-DSD)
- Volume control: Digital, activated in 1dB increments. Last known state saved upon shutdown, with exception of line-level mode
- Line-level mode: Activated via dual press of middle ‘Source’ and ‘Crossfeed’ buttons. Line level = 3v via all outputs. Reset by power cycle
- Power saving mode: Auto-shutdown after ten minutes of input inactivity
- Driver support: Driverless with Mac OS X and Linux, driver required for Windows OS
* Non-user-serviceable batteries are covered by a limited 18-month warranty from initial date of purchase. For full terms and conditions please click here.
User Configurable Options:
- Filters (Digital):
- Incisive neutral (Ultimate reference) (White)
- Incisive neutral HF roll-off (High Frequency roll off) (Green)
- Warm (‘Smooth’) (Orange)
- Warmer HF roll-off (High Frequency roll off) (Red)
- Crossfeed (Digital IIR):
- Off – No Crossfeed
- Level 1 – Light
- Level 2 – Medium
- Level 3 – Heavy
- Remote control (included)
- Hugo 2 user manual
- Safety instructions
- Drawstring bag
- 5V 2A Switching Micro USB power supply
- IR remote control
- Micro USB to Type-A USB cable
- Micro to Micro USB OTG cable
- Optical cable
- Optical to 3.5mm optical cable
- 2x AAA batteries
- Chipset: Chord Electronics custom coded Xilinx Artix 7 (XC7A15T) FPGA
- Tap-length: 49,152
- Pulse array: 10 element pulse array design
- Frequency response: 20Hz – 20kHz +/- 0.2dB
- Output stage: Class A
- Output impedance: 0.025Ω
- THD: <0.0001% 1kHz 3v RMS 300Ω
- THD and noise at 3v RMS: 120dB at 1kHz 300ohms ‘A’ wighted (reference 5.3v)
- Noise 2.6 uV ‘A’ weighted: No measurable noise floor modulation
- Signal to noise ratio: 126dB ‘A’ Weighted
- Channel separation: 135dB at 1kHz 300Ω
- Power output @ 1kHz 1% THD: 94mW 300Ω / 740mW 32Ω / 1050mW 8Ω
- Weight: 390g
- Dimensions: 2.1cm (H) 10cm (W) 13cm (D)
- Boxed Dimensions: 8.5cm (H) 12.2cm (W) 22cm (D)
Chord Electronics 2GO
2go is a high-performance streamer/server that transforms the Hugo 2 DAC into a fully featured Wi-Fi- and Ethernet-enabled device with up to 4 TB of solid-state library playback, bringing the proven sound quality benefits of our award-winning Hugo 2 DAC technology to network audio.
2go benefits from 2x 2 TB-rated microSD card slots for digital storage and playback, enabling Hugo 2 as a high-capacity digital music server (using MPD), in addition to its music streaming abilities. Crucially, when using 2go with Hugo 2, (once charged) all forms of digital playback can benefit from battery power alone, negating the need for external power supplies for the ultimate in purist audio.
2go contains highly advanced miniaturised electronic engineering that, in keeping with all our amplifiers and DACs, uses proprietary British technology. Adding 2go to Hugo 2, creates the most sonically advanced compact music streamer available today.
Wireless convenience (2.4GHz Wi-Fi and A2DP Bluetooth) combine with the stability and performance of wired (Gigabit) Ethernet connectivity, the latter offering set-up-free plug and play operation. 2go also benefits from comprehensive audio interfacing and offers Tidal, Qobuz and Internet radio playback with Spotify (and others) earmarked for the future. 2go is also Roon Ready, offers gapless audio and DoP/Bit Perfect support, as well as being fully DLNA-compliant (server/renderer) and AirPlay-ready.
A key feature of 2go is its auto-switching input function: every audio interface is always on, therefore switching between inputs is as easy as hitting ‘play’ on the chosen control point app; 2go convenience-switches between all its inputs automatically, giving a seamless user experience when playing music from different sources or even streaming services.